Education and Training

Federal programs provide a wide variety of resources to make higher education attainable. A number of WTU personnel are involved with Soldiers’ and Veterans’ career and education activities including: Transition Coordinators, Occupational Therapists, Nurse Care Managers, Squad Leaders, Medical Management, Career Counselors, Veterans Administration, Army Wounded Warrior (AW2) Advocates, Army Continuing Education System Counselors (ACES), and other members of the Soldier’s Interdisciplinary Team. The resources most commonly used by Soldiers include:

  • Veterans Affairs Education Resources, including the GI Bill and Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) Program
  • Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)
  • Entrepreneurship Bootcamp for Veterans with Disabilities (EBV)
  • Army Continuing Education System (ACES) Education Center

ACES Education Center

Each installation has an Army Education Center with an Education Counselor who can discuss Army education resources with Soldiers. Army Continuing Education System (ACES) resources include:

  • Tuition Assistance : Through , Soldiers can learn about Army tuition assistance policies for classroom learning, distance learning and eArmyU online college courses.
  • Army Credentialing Opportunities On-Line (COOL) : Through COOL, Soldiers can find civilian licenses and certifications that relate to their MOS, pursue those credentials and research programs to pay for the credentialing fees. COOL also helps Soldiers learn how to fill gaps between their Army training and experience and civilian credentials.
  • Functional Academic Skills Training (FAST) : The FAST umbrella covers several programs that support career and personal goals by helping Soldiers improve job proficiency and preparedness for advanced military and civilian schooling. Programs covering basic academic subjects include:
    • Basic Skills Education Program (BSEP) – For Soldiers who want to improve General Technical (GT) and Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE) scores.
    • GT Improvement – For Soldiers who want to improve their GT scores of less than 110.
    • General Education Development (GED) Test Preparation – For Soldiers who enlisted without a high school diploma or GED.
    • Reading Skill Development – For Soldiers planning to attend advanced military schooling who want to improve their reading skills.
    • Preparation for College – For Soldiers who need help preparing for college placement tests or college courses.
  • Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES) : DANTES is a Department of Defense (DOD) program supporting the off-duty voluntary education programs of Service members and Veterans.

Reserve Educational Assistance Program

Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) is a DOD education benefit program that provides up to 36 months of educational assistance to members of the Reserve components who are ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency (contingency operation). This program makes certain reservists who were activated for at least 90 days after Sept. 11, 2001 are either eligible for education benefits or eligible for increased benefits.

Entrepreneurship Bootcamp for Veterans with Disabilities

Entrepreneurship Bootcamp for Veterans with Disabilities (EBV) provides post-9/11 Veterans with training on entrepreneurship and small business management The EBV is designed to open the door to business ownership by helping Veterans develop skills associated with launching and growing a small business and leverage available programs and services.

VA Education Resources

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) offers a number of different types of financial benefits and educational training to active duty personnel and Veterans to fund higher education. There are many rules and regulations governing these programs, and more information can be found online through the VA Benefits site .

  • GI Bill : The GI Bill provides education funding for eligible service members and Veterans. For additional information on the Montgomery GI Bill, Post-9/11 GI Bill, instructions on how to convert your GI Bill, GI Bill Tutorial Assistance and expirations, visit the GI Bill section of the VA website.
  • Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) Program : The VR&E Program is designed to help get Veterans into gainful employment, including providing funding for a degree if that is what is needed.  The Vocational Rehabilitation case manager provides ongoing counseling and assistance, and coordinate services such as tutorial assistance, training in job-seeking skills, medical and dental referrals, adjustment counseling, payment of training allowance, if applicable, and other services to help the Veteran achieve rehabilitation. Veterans need at least a 10 percent VA disability rating.

Return to top of page

Paths to Higher Education

Many Soldiers pursue higher education to enhance their careers while receiving medical treatment at a WTU, after their recoveries and even after transitioning to Veteran status. The higher education paths most often taken by Soldiers and Veterans include:

College and University
College Classes at a Traditional University or Community College: Can be used in pursuit of an associate, bachelor’s, master’s or doctorate degree, or even to enhance Soldiers’ skill level in a particular subject. Most universities offer courses in classroom or online. Soldiers should talk with their Army Continuing Education System (ACES) Counselor for enrollment and payment assistance.
Army Correspondence Courses
Army Correspondence Courses: Can be taken online through the Army Training Support Center (ATSC) to help Soldiers maintain their MOS skills. Soldiers should talk with their Squad Leader for assistance.
Vocational and Technical Training
Vocational or Technical Training: Often used to prepare students for jobs related to a specific trade, occupation or vocation. Soldiers should talk with their ACES Counselor for enrollment and payment assistance.
Certifications and Licenses
Licensure or Certification: Usually administered to professionals with significant experience in the field. These are granted through government agencies or professional\ associations, and continued learning is often required. Soldiers should talk with their ACES Education Counselor for enrollment and payment assistance.