Power of Attorney

Power of Attorney

A power of attorney allows another person or agency to act on your behalf – it can be used to let a friend register your car, permit your spouse to ship or receive your household goods, or allow a relative to manage your financial investments. It can also be used to sell or purchase property such as real estate, motor vehicles and furniture. A power of attorney can generate valid legal debts in your name, as well as authorize a person to pay off your debts.

Service and Family members in the Warrior Care and Transition Program (WCTP) are eligible to use the military power of attorney; the military legal assistance office can help you prepare and notarize a power of attorney in accordance with 10 U.S.C. Section 1044 (a), or other applicable State or Federal law. A military power of attorney executed in one state should be given legal effect in other states.

Please visit your local unit/installation legal assistance office for additional information or help with the power of attorney process.

Visit our FAQs regarding Power of Attorney.

What the difference between Power of Attorney and Guardianship?